(Excerpts from La Grange Centennial History)
In the 1830's, many settlers were drawn to the prairie land beyond Chicago because of the land grants offered by President Martin Van Buren. Those settlers were: Joseph Vial who built a log cabin on land that is now on Plainfield Road west of Wolf Road; Thomas Covell who settled on land that is currently Parkholm Cemetery on North La Grange Road; and, Robert Leitch who built his cabin on the southeast corner of Ogden Avenue and Peck.
Village of La Grange
If a person wanted to stop at "the garden spot of Cook County" they would stop at Bob Leitch's place.
In 1870, Leitch sold a portion of his land to Franklin D. Cossitt who laid out the town which became La Grange in 1879.
See more information on the Early History of La Grange.
The Village of La Grange contains an Historic District listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Village of La Grange Park
In 1892, the settlers north of La Grange led by Alphonso Kemman organized a village and named it La Grange Park.
See more information on the Early History of La Grange Park.